Statement of Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
The Customs and International Trade Bar Association aspires to foster a profession that is diverse, equitable and inclusive. Specifically, CITBA is committed to promoting comprehensive and meaningful diversity, equity and inclusion in all areas of the customs and international trade law practice and to doing our part to address the effects of systemic racism and racial injustice.
To that end, CITBA pledges to be an architect of diversty, equity and inclusion in the profession by:
- Creating a DE&I Committee to guide our diversity, equity and inclusion endeavors, including developing processes to measure the impacts of our efforts;
- Increasing opportunities for attorneys from underrepresented groups in our practice, including Black, Indigenous and other people of color who have been adversely affected by systemic racism, by developing programs designed to enhance their success and retention in the profession;
- Attracting more law students from the foregoing groups to consider customs and international trade law careers through initatives that increase exposure to the practice and mentorship;
- Educating members on the importance of mentoring, equal opportunity for meaningful assignments and senior level leadership in fostering the success and retention of attorneys from underrepresented groups;
- Educating members on the importance of goals, accountability and leadership in promoting diversity, equity and inclusion;
- Fostering community among its members and promoting involvement in CITBA of attorneys from underrepresented groups; and
- Collaborating with other organizations that share our commitment to diversity.